Monday 24 September 2012

What a Cop Out!


Ok I love my Samoan people so please do not take this the wrong way.  Why is it that many times (notice I didn’t use the word all) when a palagi is in our country to help and make the country a better place and they do things in a manner that is different to what we are accustomed to that we often label them patronizing?  Ok yes I understand that they are not Samoan, they don’t understand us because they are not us.  But they are trying to help so that we are able to learn and be able to do the things that we are currently unable to do by ourselves.  How can this be patronizing?

I am a Samoan, I live in Samoa, I eat Samoan food, I am speaking more Samoan everyday but when I speak up a little too much or do things differently to others I am quickly shut down with a she’s not a real Samoan.  So how can you say that it is just palagis who are patronizing when clearly it is not just the palagis but all people who see the world and do things differently who are patronizing, even a Samoan.

What I find patronizing is people who are not able to suck up their pride and open up their eyes to see the world from a different point of view.  Maybe if you did things differently you too would see that things are not the best as they are right now and they need to be changed.

So I am sorry but if you don’t agree with something because it is different to what you are used to don’t cop out and label it patronizing or some other word for annoying take a cement pill and toughen up!  Make the changes necessary so that we won’t have to take hand outs from other countries.

No comments:

Post a Comment